Sunday, July 28, 2013

Propagating new plants...

I have Creeping Jenny in most of my containers because it is a very easy plant to grow from tip cuttings. It roots fairly quickly,all you have  to do is take a cutting and show it some soil and it would root. In the pass I've tried other plants with no success..


This year I tried just one Russian Sage cutting and after 3 weeks, I was so excited to see roots coming through the bottom of the tiny pot. I read somewhere that Russian Sage cuttings  will bloom the next year, but that's ok with me because I already have another established plant on the other side.....


It grew 9  inches in 31 days..


The same day I planted the Russian Sage, I tried this little plants called Hairy Wild Petunia (Ruellia humilis )(perennial) and after 3 weeks the little plant  rooted too...Today I was even more excited when after one month of being planted on the ground  it blooms,  isn't that amazing...I was expecting  it to bloom next year...when I went to water it in the evening I noticed that the flowers had fall off..so i did a little research and found out  this Petunia typically opens during the morning and falls off the plant by evening.. I took the cutting from my cousin new house and she didn't know anything about this plant..


I didn't used any rooting hormone just regular soil from the ground, but I kept them away from the sun... My guess is that these are easy flowers to propagate. After my success I couldn't resist adding some more plants, but no success yet. I let you know if my new experiment brings more excitement..


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment